Sunday, May 17, 2009

Here's a visual aid for you.


I had to take a class this week entitled "General Instructor School". The General Instructor School is the basic class you need in AZ Law Enforcement to qualify you to teach other cops and recruits.

Some of the class was on liability issues, how the state says we should organize the objectives of the class and stuff specific to the career field. A good portion of the class was on general presenting to an audience.

We also had to do four separate presentations to the class, ranging from 2 minutes to 15-30 minutes. Since my classmates all prepared their own lessons and we had about a half dozen several hour topics presented by the instructors, I saw about 537,000 power point slides.

I used a Powerpoint (Actually, I used the openoffice.org equivalent, which is compatible, free and on my computer) presentation for one of my presentations, talking about the accidental deaths that have been reported at Disneyland. I figured, when in Rome..... Besides, the evaluators needed to know that I could do Powerpoint if I had to.

For my final presentation, I was sick to death of pp slides. I think it is wayyy too overused anyways(See this guy's brief interview). So, I created my own visual, using pen and paper. The topic I picked was Cultivating Long Term Relationships, so I spent a little time talking about the importance of unity and carefully included my masterpiece, pictured above. The only drawback was that it took a few minutes for the laughter to subside so I could continue with my talk.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Oh, and here are the five perspectives on unity, as illustrated above

The Big Fish Idea: I am more important/powerful/capable than you, so I will swallow you up, we will go with my idea and than we will be unified.

The Good Fences Bring Us Together Idea: If you stay in your area and I stay in mine, we should be able to work together.

Overlapping Agendas: We agree on a couple of things, so when we are together, we will try to ignore the things we disagree about.

The Desert Island: we are stuck together, so we may as well try to work together.

Common Goal: We are working together to accomplish this task and moving in a common direction. Our differences seem less important than the common task. This idea really does work the best.

No comments: