Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Preterism at Skate Country

While Roller Skating with Diane and the kids today (and a crew from Emily's Club and their Mom's), I realized that I haven't yet shared what Pastor Steve said about whether or not it is the end of the world.

First, a couple of definitions and my preface:
"Preterist" - Someone who believes the biblical prophecies concerning the end times have already been fulfilled.

"Partial Preterist" - Believes some of the biblical prophecies concerning the end times have been fulfilled.

Many Evangelical Scholars believe that many of the biblical prophecies have a dual meaning. In other words, they have a direct and contemporary implication for the time they were written, as well as a future implication.

Now, a bit about what Steve said.

He mentioned several major prophecies that many biblical scholars say must be fulfilled before the end of times. He said that many say that most of them have been fulfilled, but many say they have not been. He also mentioned that he has no idea if it is almost the end of times or not.

I am going to say that it is nowhere near the end of times. Why not. If I am wrong, it won't really matter. However, I am going against hundreds of years of tradition in many evangelical circles that say the end of the world will definitely be within the next fifty years or so. So maybe that will cause problems.

I just hope SevenStarHand doesn't comment on this blog like he did on this one.

I also just realized that the only other men at the skate rink were a man with a pony tale and an old guy and a guy with a helmet. I was the only adult male in our group. I wonder what that means? Probably just that I was able to get off work early. Or maybe it really is the end.

Oh, and here is a link to Gary Demar. He is one of my favorite Eschatologists, but is considered by many to be a partial preterist. I don't know his material well enough to know if I agree with it all, but he has some interesting stuff.

No comments: