Thursday, November 15, 2012

Lesson from the Long Run

I am really not sure what the takeaway is for this. You will have to come up with your own. All I know is what happened.

I was running a little further than I usually (ever) do, which was an 8 miler. At first I thought I would do my usual 3 mile loop twice and then add a two mile loop. Or maybe I would do 3, then 2, then 3.

Then I realized that I would be back a bit later than I wanted and thought I might give up after the first 5 miles. Knowing myself, I figured I would give up at 5 or 6 if I did the loops, so I decided just to run 4 out and then have to run 4 more miles to get back home.

Sure enough, at about 5 miles in, my fun meter was pegged and I was ore than ready to move on to another project. But, I had to get home. So, I kept going.

As I said, I am not sure of the lesson I learned, but sometimes I have to psych myself out to go as far as I wanna go.

Speaking of Long Run, here is a cool and inspirational running book about New York City Firefighter Matt Long that was cripplingly injured when a bus ran him over while he was riding his bike and how he rebuilt his body and his life:


No comments: