Wednesday, January 16, 2008

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve" - Bilbo on his 111st B-day





On his eleventy first birthday celebration, as he was preparing to leave town, Bilbo Baggins in the book The Fellowship of the Ring, gave an empty bookcase to a friend who never returned books. While I don't intend on getting any empty bookcases for anyone's birthdays, I do still have some books I haven't yet returned that I am done with.

Since I am done with the books I have borrowed, I am on to reading these two books.

Armed and Dangerous is about an ATF cop, the same one that was featured on Gangland for having penetrated the Mongols Outlaw Motorcycle gang undercover. In this book, he is pursuing an armed and violent drug dealer into his hideout in the remote mountain areas near the El Cajon Pass north of L.A. The book deals with this hunt, some highlights of some exciting side cases and his frustration with the bureaucratic nooses that he is continually finding himself in. Seems to be a common theme in Law Enforcement. The more you actually do, the more potential for getting in trouble. The less you do, the smoother of a ride you are in for.

Christianity's Dangerous Idea is a history of the protestant reformation by Alistair Macgrath, professor of historical theology at Oxford.
I just started on this one, but it traces the movement of protestantism and the major effects it had on society from the sixteenth century until today. It really does look to be more interesting than I make it sound...really.
It is a study of some radicals that changed the world. There, does that sound better.?
It should go nicely with the new series at Beginings: The Irresistible Revolution: Dare to Live a Life of Adventure

In any case, I will work on returning the other books that I haven't, in case you are one of the people that I have your book.

No comments: