Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Planting Perils: Part 1

It is time for us to plant our summer garden. Last year, the melons turned out great, although we harvested some of them too soon, the carrots were eaten by ants before they had a chance and the corn roasted alive. I just found a potato a couple of weeks ago that went unharvested last year.

As I prepare for the garden, I remember my adventures and misadventures in what we call "Church Planting", the act of starting a new community of believers.

I left Arizona and my position as a Pastor in 1999 to head out to Sacramento (well, West Sacramento to be precise) to lead what was billed as a Re-Start or Re-Plant. A re-plant is a much more difficult beast than your standard start up Church and even though I got all the official training and assessments and all that, it was still only accomplished by the grace of God.

I guess you're going to have to stay tuned to see the lessons I learned and some of the stuff that went on as we followed God in this venture, cause I am gonna go see the movie "EXPELLED".

On another note, if you're the type, please pray for our family as we consider our steps in serving God. I have had some conversations about leading a Church Plant and I am thinking about how I should be involved in this compelling and exciting ministry area. Don't have time for getting on my soap box now, but it has been shown time and again that starting new Churches is among the best ways to bring people to a relationship with God, and that is what I want to continue to be about.

No comments: