Thursday, December 2, 2010

Sir Walter Scott or Whitman he is not


Today Ethan and Abigail went to a poetry workshop. Ethan, being a boy, did not find it the most enjoyable experience of his young life.

When they were given some thinking exercises to help spur the creative process, his writings were a bit different than everyone else's.

During the exercise which called for the kids to finish the sentence, I wish......, thinking that they would write things like I wish the wind would blow me across the ocean or I wish I had a climbing horse so when we went to the mountains I could ride it up the cliff, Ethan wrote the following:

"I wish I wasn't here. I wish I didn't have to do this. I wish I could leave. I wish there was no such thing as poetry."

He struggled a little more with the exercise that asked them to compare things using the words like or as. He started with "I don't like this place. I don't like this place. I don't like this place." Being told that this wasn't a comparison and with a little help, he finally settled on:

"Poetry is like being in the pit of despair."
and
"Poetry is as dull as doing the dishes."

Perhaps his career choices lie in other places than literature.

No comments: