Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Flicks Full of Faith

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4056738/

 Here's a couple of movies I took in last week that had some common themes. Thought I'd share a little.

The first is not yet released to theaters. Every so often, I get invitations to go check out screenings for upcoming movies so I can let everyone know how much they need to go see it. So, Ethan and I went to see Do You Believe the other night.

I'll review it and remind you of it in more depth later on, so I can do my part in paying them back for the privilege of seeing it before all of you. But for now, I think it is sufficient to give you just a few words about it.

This movie, starring (among others) Lee Majors, Mira Sorvino, Cybil Shepherd, Brian Bosworth and Sean Astin, is made by Pureflix,  the same folks who made the surprise hit, God's Not Dead. Their latest offering is designed to promote the idea that if one truly believes in the Cross of Jesus, it should make a radical difference in one's life.  As I said, I'll do more of a review later, but for now you might want to know that it was surprisingly lacking in the "cheese" factor that is often so prevalent in the genre. If you at all believe, this one is worth watching.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2870756/

The Other one, I had to pay Redbox $1.62 to watch. Starring Colin Firth and Emma Stone, Magic in the Moonlight is (as IMDB says) "A romantic comedy about an Englishman brought in to help unmask a possible swindle. Personal and professional complications ensue."

While I am not trying to toss you a spoiler, one interesting tidbit of note. When the 'Englishman" comes to believe in the reality of the psychic powers of Emma Stone's character, it also opens his mind to belief in and prayer to God. I suppose in Woody Allen's mind, belief in psychic powers and  believe in the Almighty are pretty much one in the same.

Putting that aside, this is a movie driven by witty dialogue, which I think is becoming harder and harder to find in modern cinema. Colin Firth is a master of witty dialog and I found this one altogether entertaining.

Seen anything worth noting on the screen lately?

No comments: