Sunday, July 12, 2015

That Kind of Day


July 11 seems to be that kind of day. It had held import for me for some time because it was the day I joined the Air Force, and the day they finally let me out. It is also the birthday of a couple of my buddies from the war days.

It is also the last day I spent with my Dad.

Seven years ago, on the 11th, we were visiting my parents in the Denver area. Both of my brothers came over for dinner, and my Father was so pleased to have all the boys together with all of their families. He went to bed a little early that night, because he felt tired.

Some time in the middle of the night, my mom came in the room where Diane and I were sleeping and let me know that my dad had fallen out of bed and she could not wake him up. I immediately thought that this didn't sound good.

I went in the room and attempts to resuscitate him by myself, and by the paramedics after that did not work. He was pronounced deceased that night.

Fortunately, some friends of my parents came over to sit with my Mom and I am glad that we were able to be there with her when it happened. My Aunt and Uncle that also live in town were also great. They cooked up a bunch of food and made sure we were set.

The hardest part of the ordeal was first thing in the morning when my brother Michael and I had to go let our younger brother Kevin know that Dad had died so unexpectedly. 

So, I never really forget July 11th and always wonder what, if anything, will happen on this day. I don't think I am superstitious, but it often turns out to be that kind of a day.

I miss you Dad!

No comments: