Monday, July 27, 2015

The Gospel According to Chuck


Gospel: literally,  "Good News". Generally refers to the biblical message concerning the kingdom of God, Salvation and the Messiah.

Chuck: One of our favorite Television shows ever about a computer geek who turns secret agent after a computer database is planted in his head and a gorgeous CIA operative is sent to be his handler.


Thanks to the wonders of Netflix, Diane and I have just finished watching the T.V. series Chuck for about the fourth time.

Full of unforgettable characters, such as Adam Baldwin's "John Casey", "Morgan Grimes", "Jeffster", "Awesome and Ellie" and a host of guest characters from Brandon Routh to Scott Bakula. Timothy Dalton, Chevy Chase, Mark Hamill and Morgan Fairchild to John Larroquette, Richard Chamberlain Lou Diamond Phillips and Bo Derek and many others.

The final episode of the series leads up to a scene where Chuck, the main character, is trying to remind his counterpart Sarah, who has had her memory of the previous five years erased by the most recent villain, that she had fallen in love with him, and he with her.

In this final scene, the words Chuck says to Sarah echo the message that the Almighty has for each of us. We, like Sarah, are broken, and have forgotten that their is one that loves us more than any other, and wants us to trust him.

Chuck says to Sarah:

I'm asking you to trust me.

... I don't I don't want anything from you.


I-I just need you to know that wherever you go, I'll always be there to help you.


Someone you can call.
Whenever.
Trust me... I'm here for you always. 


     Chuck vs. The Goodbye. Season 5, Episode 13 (27 January, 2012)
 
That sounds just like The Gospel - Its rare that I find something on TV that resonates with what God says to us. But that is the Good News that God speaks to us, in a few short words - "You don't have to do anything but trust me. I'm here for you and always will be."

So, what should we watch next?

Here's the segment:



And, just for fun, here's a little JEFFSTER


No comments: