Sunday, September 18, 2016

Where were you......






Do you remember where you were when you first heard?







I am not the hero of this story, by any means.

15 years and one week ago, terrorists brought down the twin towers and attacked the Pentagon.
Do you remember where you were when you heard about it?

To spur your memory, I will tell a little about what I remember.

We lived in California at the time, and I had spent a leisurely morning at home. We tried not to have much going by way of media in the morning and no one called me that day to let me know about the events, so I was kind of taking it easy until I had to go into my office for the day. As soon as I got in the car, I popped on the radio and heard the news.

Immediately, I pulled back into the drive and told Diane what I had just heard. We then checked into it more and watched and listened as things unfolded throughout the day.

At the time, my assignment in life was working on getting a new Church going in West Sacramento (If you are in the area, go check them out: http://www.southportchurchonline.com/ ). My warrior training and instincts made me wanna join the army or something, but I had work to do there.

We were privileged to get a chance to lead and host the first community service to help people honor the fallen and pray for the nation a few days after. a couple of hundred people from the community, including the mayor, came and joined us. It was quite and honor for our new Church that had just moved into a new facility.

9/11 definitely changed the directory of our nation and my family as well. I think it definitely helped inform my decision to take a job as a first responder after I moved to Tucson. Through this, I have had the chance to serve this community as a Deputy and serve the department and other fisrst responders as a Chaplain.

It also played a role in our oldest son's (Tom) decision to serve and led to his deployments to Afghanistan and Kuwait.

I definitely remember 9/11 and understand how it has affected us. How bout you? Do you remember where you were? How has it changed things for you?

Lace up your boots brothers and sisters and keep your heads down!


Here's some fun photos of Me....:)
In the desert with the Border Crime Unit, Hanging out with Sean Hannity and the Sheriff as a Chaplain.
And one of our son in the Sandbox.

 











No comments: