Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Disappointments, Pizza and Passion

Playing for Pizza

I don't take in too many novels throughout the year, but I picked this up for Diane and it was short and fun, so I read it too.

The book is about an NFL quaterback that completely botches a game. He botches it so bad that the fans try to assault him, he is fired and his agent can not find him another team to play for........except for the Parma Panthers.

The Parma Panther's are a part of the Italian Football League, where most of the players are only paid in the pizza dinner they get after the game. Each team is allowed as many as three Americans and the Panther's are thrilled to get a quaterback.

His contract is for $20,000 a year, plus an apartment and a car. A substantial cut in pay.

The story deals with his disappointment in his career and, of course, a re-discovery of the love of the game. In addition to it being a fun read, I enjoyed the look at these themes of career disappointment and finding a passion and love for the game and for his team. It somewhat paralleled some of my career struggles.

The next novel I plan take in is Steve Hockensmith's: The Black Dove: A Holmes on the Range Mystery
I love this guy's stuff and I will do a review of it after I get it. But, it is released today. Go buy it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a great share, man. Well played. Thanks for being vulnerable for a bit. I appreciate that.

Travis Hart

Anonymous said...

You gonna tell us more about YOUR "career dissapointments"?

Not that I care, but Maria was asking.

Jaime said...

Well,

the guy in the book was a loser that hadn't really ever made it anywhere with his career. I have just had some setbacks. But still, I could totally relate to some of his stuff.