Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Inappropriate Agitations

I drive around quite a bit at work. I will often go to the very North end of the county, or down south to the border, or the very east side or over to the boundary of the Tohono O'odham reservation. Sometimes all of the above in one day.

So, while I am driving around, I try to throw down some audio books from time to time. Maybe, I hope, I can glean some valuable life insights in between thrilling car chases and running people down in the desert. And sometimes I do.

Last night, I was listening to someone talking about dealing with difficult people at work and in our lives. We all have people like that in our lives. You may even be that person to someone else. The people that get their way regularly because of their inappropriate behavior. Whether they are yelling and screaming, whining and crying or heaping on the guilt, we are annoyed and agitated by people who act in difficult ways.

The speaker pointed out that there is a very good reason people act in inappropriate ways. The reason is, quite simply, because it works. That made me think.

Do my kids throw tantrums and whine and cry because they know that they will eventually win? How about the flashes of anger? Do they come because I have shown them that this is how to get what you want? Do people at work act in inappropriate ways because they know it gets them what they want?

And now that I have made you feel guilty.....here is the person I was listening to: Connie Podesta

No comments: