Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Children At Risk!

It seems in vogue to talk about helping "Children at Risk". To give them the opportunities they may not otherwise have, to help them see a future they may not have been otherwise able to imagine, etc., etc.

I am, of course, in favor of this. Who wouldn't be?

But, I think we need to expand our idea of which children are at risk.

The first time I ever saw the rising popularity of heroin use was with kids in one of the affluent schools here in my city.

I have seen kids from all areas of town and all financial strata facing hopelessness, broken homes and a life without joy.

Keep touching the lives of those kids that have less, but remember that those that seem to have more are also at risk. At risk of growing up and not realizing what is truly important. At risk of not finding peace and love in their own homes. At risk of making choices that will negatively alter their entire lives.

When you think of helping "at risk" kids, don't forget that all kids are at risk.

Those are my thoughts for the day.

No comments: