Saturday, April 29, 2017

The Oldies?

When I was young (younger) I liked to listen to the "oldies" from time to time. I got so I knew the words and could sing along with some of the early rock hits of the 50's and 60's. Those old timers used to be pretty cool.

I was recently a little surprised when i heard a middle school kid singing a song I new from my younger days. He was also surprised that I knew he words to one of the "oldies" that he enjoyed.

The same thing happens with my kids from time to time. They will find an old gem and I'll overhear and sing along with it. And, they too, will share some expression of shock that I know the song. I'm not sure if they think the song they found is just that obscure, or if they think I was never quite that cool. Either way, they are a bit surprised.

I suppose it's inevitable, but I think the era of "that's my music" could be in the past. But, I still try to find new tynes to enjoy too.

And here's the first tune that clued me in:

https://youtu.be/cpxsMyoXUZQ

No comments: