Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Working Woes

I was starting to really enjoy my job. I worked wednesday through sunday from 6pm to 2am. I know, it is kinda of wierd hours, but I really enjoyed it. And, it is during these hours that most everything happens. Not only that, but they always assigned me as an at large unit. Basically, to be at large means I could go anywhere in the district where I felt I was needed. This is a good sized responsibility for someone who has only been on the job for two years.

Unfortunately, one of the guys from the midnight shift transferred to be a detective. Since the midnight shift was short on manpower, my squad of 2 is considered extra bodies and I am the low man on my squad of 2 (the other guy has been on for 7 years), I was sent to the midnight shift. 10pm to 6am with friday and saturday nights off.

I should be grateful that I got the weekends off and that I was chosen because I am a solid street guy. I should be grateful. But, the weekends are when most things happen on the late shift and I really like to stay busy. Not to mention that I enjoy sleeping at night. I neither stay busy nor get to sleep at night working the late shift.

So, I volunteered to go to a small town in our county called Ajo for two weeks. It is about 2 hours from here and is considered a hole in the ....ummm...state. Several guys that are permanently assigned out there have quit, because it it a nasty place to live and they need some guys to fill the holes. They are offering some extra pay, some extra overtime hours and something different to do. I am all over that and will leave Sunday morning for the land of garlic (Ajo is espanol for garlic).

So, hopefully, I won't have to work the midnight shift too much longer and maybe I will get to chase some undocumented aliens and drug loads and the like in Ajo. And, thankfully, I do still have an income.

1 comment:

agentpipes said...

We're going to miss you while you're out there. We have to get together this weekend! Are you going to be gone for Thanksgiving?