Monday, July 28, 2008

Anyone..........


So, this weekend the local alternative sort of theater was playing Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.....not to be confused with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory which, although technically more like the book, was just too weird. In fact, after we saw it, Diane had to immediately watch Pirates of the Caribbean to wash her mind of the image of Johnny Depp as a very disturbed Willy Wonka.

So, the theater was playing the movie and allowing you to sing along with it, which I thought sounded like great fun. Apparently, everyone else I know thinks thinks this is just bizarre. Even my own children.

While I admit that a song early in the movie, which admonishes Charlie to 'Cheer Up', is one of the most boring songs on the big screen since "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" was released, most of the songs are fun.

Consider the "Candy Man" or all the Oompa Loompa songs. What's not to like? According to everyone I spoke with, plenty.

So, I am wondering, does anyone else enjoy this movie? At all?

9 comments:

Angie said...

What do you get when your kid is a BRAT?

I love that movie and I love singing along with it. I break into random song even when it isn't playing.

I want a feast...I want a bean feast.
Did anyone else want to slap Baruka?
I would have been there singing with you Dave.

Anonymous said...

James, what about "Belly Up to the Bar, Boys!"? Can you really think THAT is boring?

Anonymous said...

I also love this movie. Though I like the remake a little better as it is slightly darker than this one. But it is still a cool movie!

Jaime said...

See,

now there is a vote for the remake. It was very true to the book, I will give it that. It even had Dad as a toothpaste lid placer, which the original movie ignored.

Interestingly, the oompa loompas sang words that were the same as the words of the songs they sang in the book. The old one, that I prefer, had all new songs that were cuter and rhymed more.

brea said...

I love that movie and would have went with you and would have sang every song like it was my job. I even know most of the movie's lines so I pretty much could have donimated the whole experience.

Nichole said...

Ah...memories. I remember James trying to convince his kids to watch this movie in West Sac and they all thought he was crazy then. Personally, I give this movie a thumbs up. The original is a classic, and the remake great just because I like to look at Johnny Depp. And who can compete with that weird little Indian guy who plays the millions of Oompa Loomps's in the remake? To play so many different Oompa Loompa's is just TALENT!

Anonymous said...

To be all together again! I really miss you guys and all our fun and crazy Friday nights!

Jaime said...

Bonus points to Angie and Spud for being the first to admit they liked this movie.

Dr. Monkey Beans - I think the Unsinkable Molly Brown is more fun to mock than watch and sing along with. It is no Willy Wonka movie!

Brea - That is just downright scary. Sorry we missed out on that.

And no Nichole, it is really not that impressive to play yourself over and over again. That is called megalomania. Please refer to the above post about Jim Jones.

I wonder if the guy really is as little as they make him look?

Anonymous said...

Hey!! nobody asked my opinion on whether or not I wanted to go! I think it would have been funny to see you singing those dumb songs really loud.