Saturday, October 25, 2008

The First Five of the Last Mimzy


Ever walked out of a movie theater in the middle of a movie?

I have recently turned off a couple of movies because of their offensive nature. I don't get offended easily. I work around a bunch of guys that swear like sailors. In fact, the guy I am usually partnered up with used to be a sailor. It doesn't bother me that he and they swear.

I am more offended by the cultural forces that have made this sort of behavior and speech perfectly normal. The Hollywood movie producers, for instance, who seem to think that it is perfectly normal to swear like sailors and have the morals of a drunken whore.

William Wilberforce, the man who almost championed abolition in Great Britain said "God Almighty has placed before me two great objects: the suppression of the Slave Trade and the Reformation of Manners (morals)." I find it interesting that he placed the reformation of manners and morals on par with the suppression of the slave trade.

The being said, the only movie I ever walked out on, that I can recall, was The Last Mimzy. It was just boring and stupid. After the first five minutes I was ready to go. I waited another five to see if it got any better. It did not. I then waited another five before I brought it up to Diane, who was thinking the same thing.

Turns out that, like many in our culture, I am more likely to be offended by being bored that by being cussed out.

No comments: