Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Railroaded

I just saw that Arizona is getting $1 million from the federal govt to do a study about a passenger railway between Tucson and Phoenix. The hope is that a matching $1 million could be provided by the state. Yes, there are already tracks between Tucson and Phoenix, but officials are unsure that the existing track, which is a UP track, could be used.

I think I could do that study for them. For a million bucks.....no wait, I would do it for half that....I, would talk to UP and see if the existing track could be used. If not, I would see about how much it would cost to build another. They already have an estimate of $600 million. So, instead of just using that figure, I would try to reconfirm the estimate. I'd even get Diane and the kids to help.

$500,000. That would be a bargain.

On another related note, why do they not lay two tracks when they build railroad tracks? It would cut down on trains running into each other and would make it easier for the train dispatchers. They probably don't have the money. Especially after all the million dollar studies they run.

The District Superintendent of the Church Denomination in Sacramento told our Church that Diane had a "million dollar smile". That ought to qualify us to do a million dollar study.

Here is the article from the local paper.

No comments: