Saturday, December 29, 2012

Overwritten, or What I did on my Christmas Vacation

We have been very busy this holiday season, which I suppose accounts for the dearth of posts on here, but I did get the opportunity to see a couple of "holiday" movies at the theater.

The two that I was able to take in this week were Jack Reacher and The Hobbit (part 1 of 3, because Peter Jackson figured out that my family will pay ten bucks a head times three for three years in a row, instead of just one time, if he drags the story out for three long years).

I know that many have said that the Hobbit story is too long, drawn out and overwritten. I don't care. I have loved this story since my mother read it to us at the table when I was very small and since I first saw the cartoon version from the 70's. I think it is quite possible that I am the only person that likes the cartoon version from the 70's. So I recommend seeing it. It is fun, moving and visually stunning.

If you really want to see an example of overwritten, check out the Jack Reacher character in Jack Reacher.

Yes, Tom Cruise looks good at the age of 73, and it was a very entertaining movie.
But, it is hard to buy a guy that is a retired Army Major living in buses, only owning one set of clothes and bragging (on and on and on) about how free he is because he doesn't work in a cubicle or have things like a home, friends, family, etc. to time him down.

His primary past time seems to be beating the crap out of guys on buses picking on their girlfriends and washing his one set of clothes that he bought at a Goodwill store in a motel sink. He did get a very nice leather jacket from a rack of very nice leather jackets at the Goodwill store. I think that is probably the best Goodwill store ever.

Still, in spite of feeling very much like you were stuck in a novel that showcased the author's view of the ultimate anti-hobo, it is still a fun movie. Full of intrigue, action, foul deeds, Tom Cruise beating people up and shooting them dead, lawyers, cops, car chases, snipers, pretty girls and Robert Duvall. It is hard to go wrong with Robert Duvall.

I hope you had a Merry Christmas and a very blessed New Year!

No comments: