Friday, June 13, 2008

The Need for Novelties

Our friends, the Ross', just gave us a desert tortoise. it is kinda cute and I will see if I can get a picture up.

I consider reptiles kind of a novelty pet (a tortoise is a reptile, right?). In other words, they don't particularly serve any particular purpose. A dog or cat or baby elephant can help fill some emotional needs, provide companionship and maybe even protection. A tortoise is just kind of there to look at and to look like fun. Otherwise purposeless.

I suppose I have plenty of things in my life that are that way. Really kind of pointless as far as meeting needs or having any real use. But, I like them anyway.

So, that raises the question: Do we have some sort of need to have some sort of novelties in our life, or are they generally just things that we have convinced ourselves we need because we want them so much?

What are some novelty things you have that you might be better off without?

4 comments:

Travis Hart said...

Most of the trinkets around my house have sentimental value, so I guess they are there for a purpose. As you walk by them, you remember the stories from your grandmother that she would tell you about that object.

The children should get a kick out of the turtle. Nathan is allergic to anything with hair or fur, so we have thought about a turtle. One that gets big that could entertain the children as it eats heads of lettuce in one bite. You know, part dinosaur ;-)

Anonymous said...

I have a blog.

Anonymous said...

That was in response to your question "What are some novelty things you have that you might be better off without?"

Anonymous said...

Hey pcs - We're counting on you - don't give up now!