Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Times They Are A Changin'

The local news had a couple of articles that interested me today.

This article talks about how the rate of Churchgoers in Arizona is far behind that of the rest of the nation. I believe it. I would say except for California, but Churches there are starting to connect more with people and bring God's message in ways people can understand. I think we are still behind that curve in Arizona. At least in Tucson.

Here is an article talking about how neighborhoods are trying to become more friendly to kids for accessing. According to Chris Poirier, county planner, 15% of kids walk to school now, as opposed to 50% 40 years ago. There are many reasons for this, besides just the high walls and inaccessible cul de sacs that the article sites, but I think it shows how we have become more and more disconnected with our neighbors and less likely to walk anywhere.

Morgan Spurlock, in his Super Size Me movie, decided to limit his daily walking to under 2 miles a day to emulate an average U.S. Mcdonald's eating citizen. He said he had a hard time with it. Do we have a hard time limiting our walking to under 2 miles a day?

And finally, here is an article about a man from Holland bitten by a javelina while has was visiting the Desert Museum. The Rodents of Unusual Size (ROUS') strike again.

Who says there is nothing interesting going on around here in the summer?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must say, your blog is now one of my new favorite sites to visit. Right up there with freecycle, craigslist, and the home and garden tv site.

By the way, I think California is still way worse than Arizona for church-goers.

Jaime said...

Awwwww

What a great compliment. I didn't know Home and Garden TV had it's own site.

Anonymous said...

What are you, a troglodyte? How could you not know that Home and Garden TV had it's own site?

Jaime said...

Aha, I know what troglodyte means. Someone at work used it, and I went and looked it up.

No, they were not calling me a troglodyte.

Anonymous said...

Great comment Nichole. You should link your name to your blog so we can see who you are.

I am the same way with this blog since I first found it.

Jaime said...

Nichole is the wife of Jason, who was tributaried in the previous post.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the new word. I looked it up and can now add troglodyte to my vocabulary. Did you get that from a Geico commercial? By the way James has inspired me to create my own blog, which is MUCH less travelled and MUCH less interesting.

Say hi to your fam :) I miss your wife.