Thursday, August 28, 2008

Kinda sad kinda glad story

I usually don't put my work stories on here. While some of them are very interesting, unusual and even exciting, it doesn't seem prudent. For one, they involve people's personal stuff, like their arrest record. Who wants that on my blog? Sometimes they involve ongoing investigations. Don't want to compromise that just so I can entertain you.

But, last night we had a kinda sad, but kinda glad story that I think I will share.

The Border Patrol received a call that a family of illegal immigrants was stranded alongside the roadway. We were called because it was considered a medical "follow up", as the family had indicated that they were dehydrated and starving.

The four of them; Mom, Dad, and dos hermanas were not only tired, dehydrated and hungry, they were also very distraught because they had lost track of two other sisters that had been traveling with them. They had lost them the night before somewhere in the desert.

Border Patrol Borstar guys, their medically trained search agents responded and we gave the family food, water, gatorade....stuff like that, before Border Patrol took them for processing. We told them we would keep looking for the other two. It would really suck to lose half of your children like that.

At then end of my shift, one of our late shift guys tried to pull over a van that drove away and got stuck in the mud. About twenty people ran off, but four of them stayed behind. I was on my way home, as I was already late, but I decided I would go see if I could help. Who knows, maybe the sisters would be there.

When I got there, I found the four, which included two dehydrated and sick sisters, the same ones we were looking four. When we told them that we found their family and that they were terribly worried about them, they started crying.

I guess it was a good thing I went to see, because everyone else who knew that these two went with the others had already left for the night, so we were able to get them all back together before the night was over.

5 comments:

Nichole said...

I am SO GLAD you found those girls!

How do you loose two of your kids in the dessert?

Nichole said...

oops. Desert. Not dessert.

Anonymous said...

You lose(not loose) your kids in the desert (not dessert) by bailing out of a truck in the middle of the night with a bunch of other people and having your coyote run off in some other direction while everyone else runs crazy everywhere else.

Nichole said...

Ahhh...that makes more sense. Nevermind the lack of brain energy that went into my processing the original post with my toddler throwing herself against the wall in the background. I think that is also a run on sentence. Time for me to nap.

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Deputy "I ride quads" Fighter! It's nice to hear about some humanity in all this political, stereotypical border issues. Los padres must have been going loco en las cabasas after losing their bambinas.