Sunday, January 4, 2009

Christian T-Shirt Conventions


Have you ever been to a stadium sized "Christian" event. I have been to several, from youth events to Promise Keepers to concerts. Each one makes me think that they must be a "Christian T-Shirt Convention", because everyone wears their Christian t-shirts with an array of crosses, kneeling praying people and catchy slogans (here is a website full of them) designed to let everyone else around know that you are one of them...... I guess.

This weekend, I had to work at the local annual pow-wow. While there, I noticed that a number of white folks get into the act and buy up t-shirts with "Indian" symbols and sayings. I even have a couple of these shirts myself.

I think they are wearing these shirts to show that, while they are not Indian, they think that Indian people are cool and, boy, they wish they could be part Indian too. By wearing the shirt, they seem to offer proof that, if they were around back in the day, things would sure be different. Everyone knows I am not an Indian, the shirts screams, but I like you guys and maybe I am just a little bit Indian too.

I wonder if that is the same reason people wear the "Christian" t-shirts to the conventions?

No comments: