Saturday, January 24, 2009

A funny thing happened on the way to the......

For obvious reasons, at least to me, I don't tell work stories on here. But, this one happened when I was off work. It would have been just a regular sort of thing if I was at work, but since I wasn't, it was kind of remarkable...and kind of funny. So, just because I think you might like this story:

Last week, as we (as in Diane, Emily, Abigail, Ethan and I....the whole crew) were driving home from services, I looked over and saw an old lady, a young guy in a wheelchair and another young guy all fall out into the street. I rolled my eyes and thought, "Geez, I am glad I am not working right now. I would have to go see what these (people) are up to.

Diane then gave me the look that was like, "Did you see that? You better go stop and see if you can help them."

So, I pulled over, gave Diane the phone and went to see what was going on. The guy in the wheelchair was helped back in by the other young guy, who said it was his cousin and they had fallen. The old lady said that she was out helping them, because they were thrown out of a car. The guy in the chair was talking like he had a developmental disability, slurring his words and curling his arms at the elbows and hands.

I noticed the other guy, had been drinking. When I asked about if they were drinking, he said he was, but his brother in the wheelchair wasn't.

"You said he was your cousin."

The old lady said, "He means he is his brother like we are all brothers."

Oh.

Then a van pulls up and says that the one guy pushed the wheelchair guy into her car. By this time, I had signaled Diane to call 911 and I could hear sirens. Wheelchair guy tried to get up and said, "I wuhhhhnt to go hooooome." I know, I am not so good at making the sounds he made, but I told him to just relax because the ambulance was going to come and make sure he was ok.

After I told him that, he jumped up and ran into the street. I was afraid he was going to get hit and I would somehow get blamed for it, so I followed him across the street as he outran his wheelchair, both of his flip flops and me into a gated yard on the other side. I noticed the other guy was running up behind me, so I turned on him and told him (in my outside voice and maybe even with an outside word) to please not follow me and to kindly sit down on the ground.

It must have been the way I said it, because he then asked if I was a cop. When I said I was, he took off running the other way in a panic.

When the firemen and policeman arrived moments later, they both were surprised to hear how the wheelchair guy jumped up and ran off when he heard that help was on the way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They might have been trying to pull a scam. Good Diane was there with the kids so they didn't try to steal anything, maybe the car or the whole family,

Mom

Anonymous said...

Oh, I think they probably stole the wheel chair and were out for a joy ride.