Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Zombies Are Coming

Every now and then it is fun and important to have a little distraction. So, I read the book World War Z, An Oral History of the Zombie War.

The book is a collection of interviews with people who survived the world war with zombies. It is actually fun and interesting, if not a little gruesome.

I am not obsessed with zombies and never really got into the night of the Living Dead sort of Zombie movies. They do seem to be becoming more and more popular now. A movie version of World War Z is even in the works, set to be released in 2010.

Here are some of my limited thoughts on the matter:

First of all, Diane doesn't like zombie movies at all. It didn't help, I am sure, when I told her 28 weeks later was kind of a cerebral thinker of a movie. Two minutes into it, when zombies starting eating people, she looked at me in disgust and left the room.

Zombies are now understood to be the result of some incurable virus that can kill and then reanimates the dead, rather than some sort of voodoo curse. Of course, the zombies in I Am Legend didn't kill the victims, it just made them zombies.

I always wondered how zombies knew to chase living humans in hordes. Why didn't they ever attack one another? I came to realize from the Z-War book, that they sensed (smelled or whatever) living flesh, so that is what they go after.

In any case, check out the World War Z site. You can even take a little quiz to calculate your personal risk of becoming a zombie and see your likelihood of surviving the global crisis of the zombie hordes.

Or, you can just play this game.

No comments: