Monday, May 5, 2008

Dee-Kline and the Drive In

Here is some info from a Forbes Magazine listing of some of Americas Fastest Dying Industries. Most of them are because of some sort of competition, not because no one uses similar services anymore. Here is the short list:

Bowling Alleys - Well, that one is because people just don't do it as much.

Music Publishing - Supposedly as a result of easy downloads. The revenue in this industry is projected to decline about 10% between now and 2012.

Laundry Services - Small companies, price wars and ...and ....I don't know what will lead to bigger declines than Music Publishing. My mother works for a company that sells to laundromats and such. Watch out mom.

Beer Production - Increasing competition from wine and other spirits are leading this decline. And here you thought prohibition might be on the horizon again. Not likely.

Wired Telecommunications - People are increasingly picking a cell as their primary phone. Why? They are usually cheaper, more versatile and fewer pesky sales calls. Hmmmmm.....why do people even keep a land line? People like, say, me.

I think Drive In Movies were not on the list because they have already declined. I, for one, enjoy the Drive in. Yes, I know the one in town feels like the land of white trash. And, it probably is. I still like to go. Especially with a group of friends. What is more fun than sitting outside watching a movie, chowing on some pizza and being able to hear it from everyone else's car.

Of course, it would be nice if people didn't lite up the gonja while I was there.

Does anyone else like the Drive In?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the drive-in. With you. And your gun.

Jaime said...

I do bring my gun to the drive in...it is a scary place sometimes. I don't know what good
it is when I fall asleep during the show, but when I am awake, I like to feel safe.

Travis Hart said...

The drive in is great if you have a large family. We get to see new releases for 20 bucks. Bring the pizza, hot dogs, popcorn, juice boxes, it's great. If you get there early you can sprawl out all over the ground and take up the spot next to you. That's good times. In addition to all this, you can go in your PJ's, Love it. Late movie, the children fall asleep, no worries, they are ready for bed.

Anonymous said...

Yes, James, Happy Birthday to you! We didn't forget you, hope your card made it on time. If not it's on its way. TJ's might be late because I mailed it the same day as yours(Fri.) Hope you have a good day and a good year too.
Mom

Anonymous said...

I feel safe when my friend has his gun at the drive-in, too. He's a cop, you know.