Monday, November 10, 2008

Parks, Poo and the Bookstore

**Warning**
This post has the word "Crap" in it.

I have a dog and enjoy having her. She is a mix of Great Dane and something else, retriever I think, and she is very pretty. I will have to post a picture for you sometime soon.

One thing that I do not enjoy about dogs is the waste they produce. We do a pretty good job these days of cleaning up the area of our yard where our dog does her business. Did you know that the City Code requires you clean up after them every two day? I think we pretty much do that.

We have a nice little park in our neighborhood. It has a swimming pool, play area, picnic tables, soccer field, mini-ball park and a 1/2 mile track around it. Diane likes to go there for her walks and I go jogging there a few times a week. But, many of the dogs showing up there bother me. If you go at certain times of day, you have to be very wary of free range dogs coming after you. The owners are always chasing after them and acting surprised. The looks on their faces say, "I can't believe my dog is actually chasing after other people and animals". Seriously people, we do still have leash laws around here and just because you want your dog to listen to you doesn't mean it will.

And then people will let their dogs crap all over the place and just leave it. I have a reputation with friends and family of being grossed out by dog crap. Just because I have made retching sounds a few times when picking it up, everyone assumes that I can't handle it. I can. I just think it is gross when it isn't where it is supposed to be.

For instance, I was recently at Bookman's, a large local used bookstore, and stepped in crap on the floor. Who lets there dog do do at the bookstore? Who even brings their dog to the bookstore. While Diane was impressed that I didn't freak out ....oh, and I was wearing sandals...she said that this was the one time I should have made a scene. Shrieks, screams, retching noises, the whole nine yards.

I think that this is another sign that people really have forgotten that other people exist. We are in need of revival.

Here, check this guy out. He might be a nut, but we do need a revival.

1 comment:

heathercee said...

Oh, ICK. While animals on leashes are always welcome in our stores, we certainly don't wish our customers to have your experience. And while wearing sandals, too. Many apologies!

Incidents like this are rare, I can assure you. I know that's not much consolation, but most customers who bring their pets to the store are courteous and respectful. Obviously you encountered one of the bad apples.

I hope you'll allow us to make it up to you - and thanks for choosing not to make a scene, though it would have been understandable under the circumstances. Feel free to email me at heatherc@bookmans.com with an address and I'll be happy to mail you some trade credit, and sorry again.

Heather (Bookmans Web Monkey)