Monday, November 24, 2008

You never really know, I guess

Did the fight training for the recruits again today. Or arrest and control, or defensive tactics or padded assailant or whatever we are calling it now.

We had six adversary's that took turns on two separate sides of the defensive tactics room, three on one side and three on the other. There were 38 recruits, so we each had to do about six fights, plus the other scenarios, so not too bad.

As I was preparing for one of my fights, everyone started oooohing as they mentioned someone's name. Since I prefer being pitted against those with no skills at all, I grew concerned. The opponent, as it turns out, was a defensive tactics trainer for the Correctional Academy and has since decided to train as a deputy. So, they were all sure he would hammer me. Great!

He came out, we fought around and punched each other, I took him down, smothered him some and fought around some more before he cuffed me up. It was pretty much like the other ones, although he did land a few good shots and had his handcuffing down pat. All in all, no big deal.

The very next guy I fought came out and, as soon as I smacked him, punched me square in the nose. He stepped into it good and, even with the headgear, my nose started gushing blood and I dropped down so he could cuff me up quick and I could stop bleeding in the headgear and bleed on the mat instead.

I wondered aloud why everyone had to warn me about the other guy and no-one told me that this guy was going to make my nose bleed all over and hurt enough to make my eyes water (no, that is not the same as crying. When you are hit in the nose, they automatically water. Really, it does.).

I guess you never really know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, so much for the uncomfortable head cold! God is good! Now that shouldn't bother you as much.

agentpipes said...

Oh that's a good one! "Oh Lord help me see the blessing in the storm."

Maybe you guys could come up with something to cover your face. Aren't there any blind bad guys to cuff, too?

Jaime said...

Well, thanks for helping me see the brighter side.

We actually wear headgear with a face Shield. It just doesn't seem to stand up to a direct punch to the nose. That guy had good aim.