Thursday, May 27, 2010

Can I try?

My wife's sister was recently out teaching our nephew how to drive and working on developing her hand grip as he buzzed them around the streets of Southern California. At one point in their travels, someone did the craziest, most blatantly illegal, dangerous turn thing right in from of them.

"Oh." Said the nephew. "I didn't know you could do that." As if this kind of driving was a great new revelation that they had forgot to mention in the driver's training manual.

Biting her tongue and wanting to scream, his mom just let him know that, no, you can't.

Sometimes I think that we get our ideas about what is and is not ok for us to say, do, etc. from watching others and their madcap attempts at life. And when those others blast through the rules of polite society and stomp all over any sort of prudent behavior, so many times we will just say, "Oh. I didn't know you could do that."

No comments: