Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Looking back......


On one of the walls in my study, I have hung a few of my certificates from past accomplishments. I have my ordination papers, diploma, MADD award and a few other things like that. One of the certificates on the wall is in recognition of an Achievement Medal I was awarded when I was in the Air Force.

This certificate says things like Airman Allerton was directly responsible for the security of a base populous of over 50,000 multinational service members...........With superb professionalism, he ... ensured all personnel were ... sheltered during 20 Iraqi SCUD missile attack." Wow! Those guys knew how to write a certificate. You should read the thing. It makes it sound like I singlehandedly held off the invading hordes of Iraqi's. Which, of course, I did not.

I used to join along with everyone else in making fun of people who throw their certificates up on a "me wall" somewhere. But I think I may have figured out why so many, and now even I, do this sort of thing.

I may have shared with you that when I go hiking up some of the mountains around here, it is easy to get a bit winded and discouraged when I look up and see how far I have to go. But, when you take a moment to look back and see how far you have come, it is encouraging and it inspires you to keep on moving.

Tossing up a "me wall" can do the same sort of thing. When you look at some of the challenges and work that is in front of you, it can sometimes be discouraging. But, if you take a moment to look back and see what you have already faced and overcame, it can be inspiring and encouraging.

I taught the kids at services about David and Goliath this week. You know, the shepherd boy that later becomes king fights the giant champion of the enemy army. David used a me wall of his own. He explained to King Saul that God had helped him kill lions and bears while he was guarding his sheep and he knew it wouldn't be a problem for God to help him kill a giant warrior.

So, don't forget to remember some of the things you have faced and let them serve as a springboard to bigger and better accomplishments.

No comments: