Monday, December 17, 2007

Red Light Camera


Traffic tickets generated by cameras come with a string

Here is an article on the new Red Light / Speed cameras they are putting in in town. The article relates how, according to Arizona Law, civil citations must be delivered in person. The red light camera tickets, of course, do not provide for this. They simply are sent in the mail with the hopes that people will just pay the ticket.

The remedy for this is, if you don't respond with in a certain period of time, a civil process server sends you the ticket and you are charged an extra $25 dollars if you are found responsible. Hmmmmmmmm.

My Story:

In Sacramento, I opened the mail box one day and found a ticket. Also included was a picture of Diane and I driving through some intersection in town somewhere. I went to the courthouse on the anointed and appointed day and spoke with a representative from the County Attorney's office. He told me that I may as well enter a plea of not responsible, since the ticket was for about $500 and it was Christmastime. Worst case, he said, I would merely have to pay the same amount a few months later.

I had a good defense for the ticket. You see I was behind this big old SUV and not entirely sureI could even see the light.

So, a few months later, I showed up before the judge and he asked the policeman to talk. The policeman said he was not prepared to testify that I was the one driving. So the judge said the case was dismissed, unless I had anything to say. I, of course, did not and I left a little wiser and just as wealthy.

So, if you get one of these tickets, you can pay it. Or...................

No comments: