Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Cold War is Heating Up!








In various spots around Tucson, you can find the now defunct and mostly destroyed Titan II Missile Silos. One of them, in Avra Valley, appears to have not been filled in with concrete, as many of them were. I went to check it out yesterday and someone had broken the hatch to get in. We contacted the Air force, who maintains them still and talked to the Desk Sergeant, who had no idea what to do.

I also went down inside to make sure no-one was dead inside. The picture of me entering and the tube with the ladder is, I think, the escape hatch on the left side of the artists rendition. The picture of the tube with the rubble is the entryway to the control room.


The air was very musty and it made me gasp, so I am pretty sure the oxygen level is not quite what it ought to be. If you want to check one out, you can go to the fully intact silo at the Titan Missile Museum. We went there with my Mom and Dad this spring when they visited us.


These silos are an interesting part of our history, as each of these missiles could take out almost an entire state.

No comments: