Thursday, December 11, 2008

A Quick Anecdote About One of My Favorite Lead Pastors

Dave Gibbons of NewSong Church.

Dave Gibbons shared this story at the National Pastor's Convention in 2000:

He attended Bible College at Bob Jones University, which is considered extremely conservative. I don't label it as conservative, more like fundamental. But, I am not sure that is fair to the word fundamental. What I am really trying to say is that I am not a fan of the place, or many of it's policies.

Dave was the son of a Caucasian U. S. serviceman and a Korean lady and grew up in the U.S. When he arrived at the school, they called him into the office and let him know that bi-racial dating was prohibited. Since he was biracial, they didn't prohibit him from dating, but he had to decide then and there if he wanted to date the white girls or the Asian girls. Well, he said he took a look around and realized there were way more white girls there, so he said he would only date the white girls.

I am not sure of the point of this story, or me sharing it with you, but I was just thinking about him today and remembered this nonsensical story.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only date girls that are a mix of black, puerto rican and asian. I am not really attracted to them, but it is my religion demands it.

Anonymous said...

What? He had to pick which ethnic group he could date?

I guess he should have only been able to date people with Caucasian Fathers and Korean Mothers.

I am often dumbfounded by people's idiocy.