Monday, December 15, 2008

Does this ever happen to any of you?

My buddy at work, the one who was recently featured on my blog in the news broadcast about the shooting, was sick last night. He came into work anyway. Not because he is some kind of a martyr, but because he was concerned that he might get looked upon dubiously if he called in sick.

At our job, they give us 12 sick days a year, which is about 100 hours of sick time per yer. And, you can allow it to accumulate or even trade some of it for vacation time, which is what I usually do. But, even though they give us all that time to be sick, the powers that be look askance at you if you actually use it. For instance, if you call in sick in conjunction with your weekend, which is what calling in last night would have been for my buddy, you are reported to personnel. I don't know what it means to be reported to personnel, but it can't be good. If you seem to be taking to much sick time, they transfer you somewhere else. I don't know why they give you so much sick time if they can't stand for you to actually use it.

Last year, in the Summer of 2007, I got pink eye in both eyes. I probably got it at the jail or from the kid's thing at Church. The two places on earth that have the filthiest people are daycare settings and correctional institutions. So, along with the pink eye, that made me take over a week off work, I got a fever.

According to Diane, when I get a fever I also get delirious. I think that is a bit of an exaggeration. I do remember thrashing around and repeating the same phrases over and over, but I hardly think that qualifies as delirious. I was curious if that sort of thing happens to anyone else.

Lately, I have been exercising a little more regularly. It seems to cut back on the amount of time I am sick. I don't know if it does this because it burns away viruses like a fever or if it speeds up my metabolism and rids my body of bad stuff quicker or if it just stimulates my white blood cells. Whatever the case, I have been ill much less the last year or two that the few years before that.

Once again, here is evidence that exercise will improve your quality of life overall. I just got back from a jog, which gave me direct evidence that exercise greatly decreases your quality of life while you are actually exercising.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Someone I met in the AF told me that nothing good ever comes out of the gym.

What he meant was, people go in all peppy and healthy. They come out hobbling, fatigued, and sore!

I think that's funny, but short-sighted. It's kind of like why obey the driving laws? They slow me down and get in my way (infringe on my rights :O ). In the end, they're there for a reason.

Or like studying God's word. There's rarely instant payback there.