Monday, October 12, 2009

Buh-Bye



In my tenure as a boss and leader, I had to fire three people.

Person #1 was fired for not doing the assigned job.

Person #2 was fired for primarily ethical reasons.

Person #3 was fired due to a lack of funding for the position.

Person #1 was mostly not really wanting to do the assigned job, having an interest in other pursuits. It probably would have been much better for our organization and them if I had been somehow more clear about expectations sooner (maybe). They were probably as pleased as I was when I finally let them go.

Person #2 should have been let go way sooner. Sometimes, as a boss, you think that they couldn't possibly be the way you think they are and you keep giving them chances to show they are not. But, when they continually do the same things in spite of coaching, correction and whatever else, you really should let them go. Sooner rather than later.

Person #3 was someone I was sad to see go. I may have been able to keep them longer if I had let person #2 go sooner. I may have not had to consider letting them go if I had someone altogether different for person #2. Sometimes, you do have to make cuts for the good of the organization.

The point of this is to say, don't be afraid to let people go. Usually the ones that need to are kept way longer than they should be and it ends up not helping them, your organization or your emotional well being. Don't be a headhunter, but if you are in charge of personnel, don't be afraid to do your job too.

No comments: